10 Best Free Web Hosts You Need To Know About
Web hosting is simply a cost of doing business online. You have a lot of options when it comes to web hosting. Depending on what you need, a free web host may actually be a good idea for you.
If you’re looking to create a simple website that has no intentions of getting a lot of traffic each and every month then a free host is for you. Maybe you want an “about me” website or perhaps you have some sort of organization, club, activity etc that needs a website.
A free host is a great option then because you can get your website online without having to spend a lot on web hosting.
How can a web host be free?
The majority of free web hosting is only free for a few different reasons.
First, they may run ads on your website to pay for the free hosting. Second they use the free hosting offer as a way to get you as a customer to later up-sell you on more expensive hosting as your web host grows or last, your website will be a weird sub domain instead of your own domain name.
Free domain name or subdomain from a free web host
You’ll often see web hosts offer a “free” domain name. There is no such thing. It will be free for the first year contingent upon you buying a hosting package. Then, the domain name will renew at a much higher rate than it would at a domain name registrar.
As such, we suggest getting your domain names at Namecheap.com. They provide low prices on .com domains, low renewal rates and free WHOIS protection. If you choose not to purchase a domain name, your domain on a free web host will most likely be a subdomain of a larger website.
Free web hosting for blogs and personal websites
So what are some excellent and free web hosts you can use for your blog or website right now?
I’ve used numerous web hosts over the year, from almost free like I showed in my Hostinger review to very expensive web hosts like WPX Hosting to in the middle hosts like Blue Host (see best hosting for WordPress for more).
Here are my favorite free web hosts:
- 000 Web host
- Google Sites
- Infinity Free
- Award Space
- Free Hosting
- Free Hostia
000Web Host – Best free web hosting with CPanel
For a free web host, 000 Web Host by Hostinger is about as good as it gets if you’re looking for a free web host with CPanel. The business model of 00webhost.com is to get you to sign up on one of their free plan and then as your website grows, move over to a very affordable shared hosting account with Hostinger (the best budget web host today).
If you decide to skill 000 Web Host and go directly with Hostinger, you can get a generous discount by using coupon code “WEBPRO” at checkout. Otherwise, start your website and blog with WordPress and 000Webhost.com and when you’re ready, upgrade your account.
000 Web host is ideal for anyone looking to create a WordPress website for casual use without needing to pay for expensive hosting. They are the perfect hosting account if you just need a website up and running and don’t intend on getting a lot of traffic.
- Can install WordPress and various scripts with a free account.
- Can use sub domains if you want.
- Good overall load speed.
- Free hosting, no ads and can use your own domain name from Namecheap.
- Uptime is around 99.7% which means your website will be off line for an hour a month.
- 10 GB of bandwidth and 1 GB of disk space make this a limited account.
- No live chat or email support for free accounts.
- Can handle about 5000 visitors a month max, then you’lll need to move over to Hostinger.
Google Sites – Best free web host for students and casual use
Google Sites is a free website builder service offered by Google that allows you to create a simple, responsive website. You get free hosting, lot’s of storage and an easy to use drag and drop visual editor. You can also set a custom domain from Namecheap with ease.
Google Sites is ideal for anyone looking to create a small 1-20 page website. It’s not ideal for blogging, affiliate marketing and you’re also not allowed to run display advertising. But if you’re someone who wants to create an online resume, a small portfolio website or a personal website. Google Sites is a fantastic choice.
- Excellent option for non commercial, personal use.
- Can use your own domain name and use an SSL
- Not for commercial use. Don’t expect to make a money making blog with Google Sites.
- You have to use Google Sites page building software, no WordPress, no themes.
- Can’t export your website and move it.
Learn how to use Google Sites
Create a professional, personal website that’s responsive with Google Sites.
Blogger.com – Best free hosting for blogging
Blogger has a reputation for being an old, out dated platform. The truth is that blogger is still maintained and continually developed to this day and is an excellent choice for anyone looking to start a personal blog. With your blogger account you’ll get a sub domain of blogspot.com, but you can set a custom domain name from Namecheap at no additional cost other than the price of the domain.
With blogger, it’s full and complete website with no limitations. You can set your own domain name, blog, run display ads through Google AdSense, engage in affiliate marketing with Amazon Associates and other platforms. Your blogger blog is totally capable of ranking and getting organic search traffic.
Overall, blogger is a surprisingly good choice for creating a personal blog to share updates on or to create a small helpful resource website.
- Totally free hosting for commercial use.
- Good up-time as blogger is a Google service.
- Can run Google AdSense.
- Can leverage affiliate marketing and email marketing.
- Good on-page SEO so your blog posts can actually rank and get free traffic.
- A blogger blog simply does not rank as easily as a WordPress powered website on a shared host like Bluehost.
- The design options are limited and a bit techy for new bloggers.
- A limited amount of templates to choose from.
Start your Blogger.com Blog
Blogger is an excellent choice for a cost efficient, personal blog.
Tumblr – The Blogger alternative
Tumblr is a micro blogging service that was similar to Twitter but has since become more of an alternative to Blogger. You can create Tumblr website, set a custom domain and the publish blog posts with multi-media like videos, images, gifs and more.
Tumblr was acquired by Automattic, the company behind WordPress. It’s an ideal platform for creative personal use but is not as feature rich in terms of it’s monetization options as blogger is.
- Can set a custom domain for any Tumblr blog.
- Creative design and layout where you can share audio clips, video, images, gifs within your content.
- No real monetization strategies with Tumblr. Unlike Blogger where you run ads from your AdSense account, Tumblr runs ads on your content at no financial benefit to you.
- Limited design options. Tumblr is made for casual use, don’t expect too much control over the look and feel of your website.
WordPress.com – The best free sub domain blogging platform
WordPress is the name of a website builder found at WordPress.com, and also the name of the script you install on web hosting server. The website builder found at WordPress.com is simply excellent. You get full access to the block editor, numerous themes and can easily design your website to your liking.
However, in order to set a custom domain name you will need to upgrade your account. A big downside as other platforms like Tumblr and Blogger allow you to set a custom domain for free (not including the domain name purchase). With a free account, you also are limited in your theme selection and can not install plugins.
For themes and plugins you’ll need to upgrade your account to their business plan. Last, your URL structure will be set to including dates, something we don’t like as it’s not optimal for on page SEO. Overall, if you’re wanting to start a free website with WordPress and you’re fine with it being a subdomain of WordPress.com, then WordPress.com is for you.
- Full access to the WordPress script, the block editor as well as numerous themes.
- Design a professional, responsive website with ease.
- WordPress has the best blogging layout.
- Can not set a custom domain on a free account.
- Can not install themes of your choice or plugins unless you upgrade to the business plan.
- Must use dates in your URL structure.
Create a FREE Website with WordPress.com
Learn how to get started blogging with WordPress.com.
Infinity Free – Free web hosting provider
Infinity Free is a strong competitor to 000 Web Host. They market themselves as a full featured, 100% free web host. So how exactly do they make money? Through advertising and affiliate marketing to their users.
To be clear, Infinity Free does not put ads on your website, instead you the user are the product and when signing up you’ll have advertisements run on the back end of your hosting account and Infinity Free will also email you promotional offers through the email you use when signing up.
What you get is totally free web hosting. The ability to install WordPress and create your website. The ability to set a custom domain or use a sub domain. Last, you even get an SSL and can setup a professional email account.
- They provide an SSL for free with your account.
- Good up-time, fast load speeds.
- 10 email accounts.
- Free Cloudflare CDN setup.
- No front end ads on your website.
- Can install WordPress and themes.
- Content that you can published is limited. Some topics are not allowed.
- They offer “unlimited” bandwidth but it comes with restrictions.
- They reserve the right to delete your website at any time.
Award Space – Average Free Web Hosting
Award Space is following a similar sort of business model as Hostinger. They do offer a free hosting plan but are pushing hard their introductory 80 cent a month plan. The free plan is acceptable if you’re looking to create a simple website as it’s quite limited.
But again, it’s free hosting with no advertisements run on your website. The biggest selling point is that they provide chat and customer support for free accounts.
- Customer service for free accounts. With 000 Web Host you’re on your own.
- Easy installation of WordPress and various other scripts.
- 99% up-time claim.
- You get 1 GB of disk space and 5 GB of bandwidth. This means your website can get a handful of visitors a day max.
- Their up-time is 99%, but it’s 99.5% typically which is terrible. You want a host to be at 99.8% at a minimum.
FreeHosting.com – They live up to their name
FreeHosting.com did a great job of getting an excellent domain name. But their service is pretty average. They are quite restrictive about who they allow to use their service. If you try to access freehosting.com from Thailand or Vietnam you could potentially be blocked by their servers.
They provide free hosting, but overall I found them to be frustrating to use which is why they are at the bottom of the list.
- Un-metered bandwidth.
- 10 GB of storage space.
- One professional email account.
- Can only have one website per account.
- They reserve the right to delete your website at any time.
- Very slow load speeds.
- Customer complaints of deleted websites, restrictive use depending on your location.
Free Hostia – Free but way too limited
Free Hostia provides free hosting as a way to get you to sign up for one of their more premium hosting plans. I can’t comment on their paid service but their free plan is pretty bad when compared to other options like 000 Web Host or Infinity Web Hosting.
The main issue with Free Hostia is that their free plans are just way to limited to be of any real use. 250 MB of disk space when compared to 10 GB of disk space at other free hosts and combined with poor up-time makes Free Hostia a poor option if you’re looking for free hosting.
They do however allow 3 professional emails which is a nice plus.
- 3 professional email accounts.
- 5 websites can be added to a free account.
- Enough resources to setup a WordPress website.
- Not enough resources for your website to handle even a tiny amount of traffic like 100 visitors a day.
Wix – The best free website builder
Wix is an expensive, feature rich online business platform that combines domain name registration, web hosting, email marketing, point of sale software, ecommerce functionality, blogging and more under one company.
To get started with Wix however is totally free. You can sign up here and create a free account, custom design any one of their templates and launch your website. What’s the catch? Well on the free plan you have to have Wix ads displayed on your website and you can’t set a custom domain. You’re also not able to add in any ecommerce on the free account too.
But what you do get otherwise is full access to Wix, their drag and drop visual editor and the ability to set a subdomain of your choice.
- Full access to Wix for blogging and designing your website.
- No limits on the amount of traffic you drive to a free account.
- Great selection of templates to use and can upload any multi-media of your choosing.
- Can not set a custom domain on the free account.
- Your website will have banner ads for Wix until you upgrade.
Get started with Wix for FREE
Learn how to create a website and blog with Wix using our course.
Best FREE Web Hosts Conclusion
So those are some of the best free web hosts for blogs and websites. You have a lot of options of course but if we were to pick a host of choice it would be Hostinger.com. For a low price you can get a free domain name, years of quality web hosting and live chat support.