7 Best Email Marketing Providers for Blogging and YouTube
If you are a YouTube content creator or blogger and want level up your income and reach there is no better option that building an email list. For YouTubers and bloggers, email marketing is still one of the most effective ways to grow your business – and it’s something most creators ignore.
In this content, we’ll go through some of the best options for email marketing software for content marketing via YouTube channels and blogs so that you can make a purchase decision based on your needs. First, let’s cover some essential aspects yo will want to look for in email marketing software as a YouTuber or blogger.
Deliverability of your emails
You want your emails hitting the inbox, not the spam folder or the promotions tab in Gmail. Deliverability of your emails comes down to a few things. Images, what words you use in your copy (“make money online” is a sure fire way to land in the promotions tab!) and your overall domain reputation.
Don’t use any of these software tools without checking their deliverability rates for the type of content you want to send out. This is one of the key things that you need to look for in order to make sure your emails are getting delivered successfully and aren’t being marked spam or promotional in nature.
The first critical aspect an email marketing service provider needs to have is the ability to create an email autoresponder series with ease. An autoresponder is simply automated emails someone gets when they sign up to your list.
This way, you can create an email list and make it into another revenue stream with careful testing of what emails work. This is ideal because once you create a 3 month or long series of emails that works, it becomes a set it and forget it type setup.
Email funnel customization
With email marketing you can create an email funnel for your list, starting with a welcome email to introduce yourself and set expectations for the types of email your subscribers should expect.
For instance, upon sign up give people tremendous value in your emails. Provide links to products where you offer a massive discount or coupon code, you can even set a funnel to have a specific follow-up depending on what your subscriber does.
After the funnel, you can move your audience to a “general” list where they will receive broadcast emails.
List separation is essential
List separation means you can create different funnels for different types of content. Maybe you have subscribers signing up on a video where you talk about how to start a YouTube channel and another video where you talk about personal finance for solo creators.
With list separation, you can set two funnels up and have your subscribers get a different email series based on what they subscribe to.
Affiliate Marketing Friendly
Affiliate marketing is promoting products and services for a commission. It’s one of the most effective ways to monetize your email list yet a few email service providers frown on affiliate marketing.
Instead, some providers want you to only promote your website, videos and offers where the email is providing value. As YouTubers, most of use are going to want to engage in affiliate marketing when appropriate so be aware of what provides like and dislike affiliate marketing.
7 Email Marketing Software Options for YouTubers
For YouTube, there are a lot of great options for email marketing. You have varying price points, features and complexity. Let’s go through the list and cover the pros and cons of each option as they relate to YouTubers.
- Convert Kit
- Active Campaign
- Mail Chimp
- Mailer Lite
- Send in Blue
- Get Response
Convert Kit – Created by creators for creators
Convert Kit was made for bloggers who engage in affiliate marketing and who sell their own digital products like courses and ebooks. They are our top choice for both YouTubers and bloggers because they have the right mix of deliverability and features content marketers need.
Specifically, Convert Kit is designed for you to create a product funnel. They have a unique built in tagging system so you can separate your list into various segments and behaviors. Those who bought, those who did not, those who opened the email those who did not.
You can also create different funnels with one account with ease. For example, I could set up a free “how to start a blog” email course and put opt-in forms on relevant pages here. I could also create an “affiliate marketing for beginners” course and put different opt-in forms on different pages and posts.
Those are two similar audiences so broadly speaking, they would both be interested in my content but I could create a higher value offer for both groups. It’s this funnel centric nature that makes Convert Kit so popular.
- Designed for bloggers and YouTubers who have their own products to sell and want to make next level money.
- Helpful tagging system to manage behavior, makes it easy to follow up automatically based on what someone does.
- Affiliate marketing friendly and very easy to implement and use on a YouTube channel.
- Comes with high converting landing pages if you don’t yet have a website.
- List centric, it’s not ideal for multiple websites. If you have two wildly different audiences you’ll need two Convert Kit accounts.
- Expensive for small lists, their price points are reasonable once you have a few thousand subscribers.
- Not ideal for seasonal audiences. If want to send the same content at the same time every year automatically you can’t do that with Convert Kit.
The content creators email provider of choice.
Active Campaign – The professional choice
The Active Campaign email marketing software is a very robust solution for professional content marketers and small businesses. The system features many different templates and optimization tools that allow you to segment and track your audiences behavior easily.
You can send highly personalized emails based on customer preferences and behavior as well as manage all phases of the user experience from the welcome email to the funnel process. Active Campaign also lets you send emails that based on local time, SMS messages as well the ability to cycle subscribers through the same email series.
- Can have multiple lists for different YouTube channels and websites with one account.
- Can loop subscribers through your email sequence. Essential if you have a seasonal topic.
- Excellent deliverability and advanced backend analytics.
- Superior automations based on user behavior. Create complex, advanced funnels.
- Active Campaign is powerful and expensive.
- It’s advanced and has a lot of pro level features most YouTubers won’t use.
Aweber – The classic choice for internet marketers
Aweber used to be the go to email marketing software for internet marketers. Today, it’s still a top choice among internet marketers looking to build large lists. Aweber comes with various features such as A/B testing of emails, autoresponders, automatic blog post updates to subscribers and good deliverability.
If you’re looking for something designed for those who want to focus on marketing to a list more so than other forms of content, consider Aweber. They are a great choice for YouTubers and bloggers looking to grow and market to a list.
- Excellent choice for marketers. If you want to build a list and send products, services and updates to your list multiple times a week Aweber is designed for you.
- They have an excellent email testing feature to see where you email will potentially land upon publishing it.
- Aweber costs more than other providers given similar size list sizes.
Mail Chimp – Most Generous free plan
Mail Chimp offers a free plan of up to 2,000 subscribers with a limit on how many emails you can send out per month. Mail Chimp is designed for small business and creative entrepreneurs who simply want a way to collect emails and send updates to their list.
Nothing fancy, just good old fashioned list building and email marketing. Most bloggers start with this because it’s free, but Mail Chimp is a solid choice as it allows you to try out their service and allows you to learn how to write and send emails to a list.
Sounds perfect! So why would anyone have an issue with Mail Chimp?
Mail Chimp is NOT friendly towards affiliate marketing because too many affiliate marketers abuse email and send spammy products and services which hurt the deliverability of Mail Chimp emails which in turn hurts everyone in the long term who decided to use Mail Chimp.
Instead, Mail Chimp is designed to promote your own products in emails and links to pages where you promote products as an affiliate as well as to give updates and to keep in touch with your list.
Marketing is fine, linking to your own website is fine. What you can’t do is link directly to any product in your email with an affiliate link. You can read more about their terms here. As this is vague, they can disable your account at any time if they think you’re violating their service.
- Mail Chimp is an industry leading email provider designed to help you build a big email list of subscribers and to keep in touch with your audience.
- Not friendly towards affiliate marketing. What they don’t want is go build a big list and then when your friend is doing a product launch, you then start sending a bunch of emails promoting your friends product with bonuses and so forth as an affiliate for example.
- Their pricing is unfair in that people who unsubscribe are not automatically removed from your list.
Mailer Lite – The best budget provider
Mailer Lite is a light weight email marketing option for more price sensitive creators. It’s a full-featured email marketing software that helps YouTubers of all sizes to collect emails and setup simple automations and funnels.
The software features the fundamentals of what you need to run an effective email campaign including list segmentation, automated campaigns, templates, deliverability tracking and more.
Mailer lite has a free version for those just starting out who are just starting to build their list to their paid version that start at just $10 a month with. Mailer Lite is perfect if you’re looking for a simple but cost effective email marketing solution.
- Mailer Lite has all the tools you need to grow a list. Pop up forms, pre designed landing pages and forms to embed on your website.
- Simple automations and autoresponders.
- Excellent price point for beginners.
- No advanced tagging and segmentation features. Mailer Lite is designed for those who want to grow a single list and email that list 2-4 times a week with content updates.
- Not affiliate marketing friendly. Go with Mailer Lite if you simply want to email your list when you come out with a new video.
Send in Blue – Pay per email sent option
Send In Blue is a cost effective solution where you pay per email sent. With their free plan allowing you to send 300 emails per day, and their first paid plan at $25 a month for 10,000 emails with unlimited contacts.
With Send in Blue you can technically have a list of 10,000 emails and email that list once a month for just $25. Perfect for anyone wanting to start a once a month or once a week email newsletter.
- Cost effective for YouTubers who want to casually email updates to a large list.
- Great integration with WordPress as well as stand-a-lone landing pages.
- No advanced features like Convert Kit’s tagging feature and support for affiliate marketing.
- No beautiful templates like you can find in Mail Chimp.
- Becomes just as expensive as other, more professional options if you want to email your list 3-4 times a week.
Get Response – A good choice for YouTube marketers
Get Response is an alternative to Constant Contact and is designed for bloggers, YouTubers, solo content creators or small business in mind. Get Response has various helpful features like landing pages, email autoresponders and various backend automations.
When you sign up you get numerous free templates you can use for emails, lovely looking email opt-in forms and the actual emails you send out can be custom designed if you so choose. They also have a new ready made funnel you can edit to fit your business. Last, Get Response integrates with ease into WordPress, Slack or Magento.
As a YouTuber, you can simply put a link to one of their in-house landing pages if you don’t want to create a website with WordPress.
- A feature rich email marketing service designed for small business. Ideal for collecting emails and keeping in touch with your subscriber base on a weekly basis.
- The basic plan is quite limited to the point where it’s not as good of a choice when compared to other providers. There plus plan however is a great choice although more expensive.
Best Email Marketing Software – Conclusion
So there you have it, some of the best email marketing services available. Which service is best? It simply depends on your business and what you intend to do:
- Convert Kit: Best for YouTubers looking to promote your own digital products and products as an affiliate.
- Active Campaign: The most feature rich email provider, overkill for most YouTubers.
- Mailer Lite: Best budget sensitive provider. Ideal for simply sending updates and new videos or blog posts.
- Send in Blue: Best provider for sending out a weekly or monthly email.
- Aweber: The classic, old school choice for affiliate marketers.
The content creators email provider of choice.